Cyber security is a critical concern for all businesses, regardless of size or industry. With the increasing frequency and sophistication of cyber attacks, it is more important than ever to take steps to protect your data and systems.
Did you know that there is a cybercrime reported every 7 minutes in Australia? Imagine how many are not being reported!
In this article, we will provide you with nine essential cyber security tips for businesses. By following these tips, you can help to reduce your risk of becoming a victim of a cyber attack and protect your business from financial losses, reputational damage and other disruptions.
9 Essential Tips for Cyber Security
- Update your devices and software regularly. This includes your computers, smartphones, tablets, and other devices. Software updates often include security patches that can help to protect your devices from known vulnerabilities.
- Turn on multi-factor authentication (MFA). MFA adds an extra layer of security to your accounts by requiring you to enter a code from your phone in addition to your password when logging in.
- Back up your important files regularly. This includes your financial records, customer information and other sensitive data. Backups should be stored on an external device, such as a hard drive or cloud storage service.
- Use strong passwords and passphrases. A strong password is at least 12 characters long and includes a mix of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. Even better, use a passphrase, a string of random words that is easy for you to remember – these are much more difficult for others to guess.
- Be careful about what links you click on and what attachments you open. Phishing emails and malicious attachments are common ways for attackers to gain access to computer systems. If you are unsure about a link or attachment, do not click on it.
- Install antivirus software on all of your devices. Antivirus software can help to detect and remove malware from your devices.
- Educate your employees about cyber security. Your employees are your first line of defence against cyber attacks. Make sure they are aware of the latest threats and how to protect themselves and the company’s data.
- Have a cyber security incident response plan in place. This plan should outline the steps that your company will take in the event of a cyber attack.
- Call before you pay, ALWAYS. Do not rely on any bank or EFT details that provided to you by email or online. These can be intercepted and changed without you or the provider knowing.
What can Milicevic Lawyers do?
Cyber security is a complex and ever-evolving field, but by following these tips, you can help to protect your business from cyber attacks. If you need help implementing any of these tips, or if you have any questions about cyber security, please contact Milicevic Lawyers.
We can work with you and your IT experts to:
- identify key areas of cyber security risk
- provide checklists to secure your technology and business
- develop policies and procedures for funds transfer, security measures, staff, system access
- ensure you comply with your legal obligations
- assist with developing an incident response plan
We understand that cyber security can be a daunting topic for business owners. That’s why we’ve written this article in a plain language, friendly tone. We want to help you understand the basics of cyber security and how to protect your business from cyber attacks.
If you have any questions about cyber security, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re here to help.
Contact Milicevic Lawyers to help you prepare and minimise the risks associated with cybersecurity and the digital landscape.